As summer nears, it’s time to celebrate. Now is the time of year for outdoor parties, graduation celebrations and just general outdoor fun.
If you are planning a festive party complete with balloons for the kids, make sure you follow a few safety tips. Those shiny balloons tied to mailboxes or around outdoor party areas are coated with a thin layer of metal.
That makes them excellent conductors of electricity!
So, make sure, if you or your loved ones are handing them out to your guests, to keep these safety tips in mind:
- When setting up your party scene, make sure metallic balloons are kept secure outdoors.
- Never release metallic balloons outside. They could float into power lines and cause a fire, electric shock or even death!
- Do not bundle metallic balloons together.
- When the party is over, puncture the balloons and throw them away.
- Never try to retrieve a balloon that slips away, especially if it’s drifting toward a power line. Let it go and call your electric co-op to report the problem.